[winswitch] trying out xpra/winswitch

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Sun Jan 6 05:17:45 GMT 2013

On 01/06/2013 04:44 AM, Neal Becker wrote:
> I'm baffled.  If I start emacs via xpra (using xdummy), it looks great.
>  If I start via winswitch it doesn't.  It looks like it's set to a lower
> resolution.
You have not answered the question about encoding and quality settings,
what are they set to?
Please also post server and client xpra commands to compare.

Note that winswitch will create the ssh tunnel itself using  the
built-in Twisted-conch instead of ssh, it may be less efficient and
cause xpra to lower quality to adapt to the more limited bandwidth.
(Although I have not seen this in testing before)
Please also specify your link quality, and the amount of traffic going
through the winswitch ssh tunnel.

If you are on a LAN, what you should really do is drop ssh completely
for xpra and use plain tcp sockets with passwords. You may need to
tweak/disable some firewall rules to achieve this.

> Both clients and servers are fedora f17 linux.
>
> Within each of these emacs sessions, I ran xdpyinfo and xrandr.  Both
> outputs show no difference.  I compared the two Xorg.:7.log,
> Xorg.:62.log, and don't offhand see any significant diff (because of the
> timestamps, comparing these files I just did visually).
>
> I have no ideas how to debug this.  I'd like to use winswitch for the
> nice features, but emacs under xpra looks beautiful while emacs under
> winswitch looks bad.
That is quite odd since even with a drop in quality, the auto-refresh
delay should kick in and give you a pixel perfect picture after about
one second.