[winswitch] Xpra Ubuntu 13.04 poor quality and speed on local network

John Beavers john at lightningsoftwaresolutions.com
Thu Jul 11 16:54:50 BST 2013

I updated my Ubuntu from 12.04 to 13.04 (via 12.10...), and got Xpra
v0.9.6 installed and working between 2 ubuntus. However, it is very slow
and ugly on the local network. I've connected with winswitch,
xpra-launch, and $ xpra attach ssh:...:100, all the same.

There was some problem with X after installation of 13.04, and X
sometimes gives errors when starting Xpra. Some errors were about
permissions, and such (I can't remember the exact errors, but they were
about /dev/tty0 does not exist, can't open console 8 (permission
denied), etc). I fixed those by setting the suid bit on Xorg. Then, X
wouldn't start because it said the -logfile option can't be used with
elevated privileges. So, I removed the -logfile part from xpra.conf,
then it didn't like the location of xpra's xorg.conf file. It said it
needed to be in a relative directory, so I put it under /etc/X11 and got
it to read it.

Finally got xpra started on the server and connected, but, like I said,
it's very ugly and slow, and the mouse doesn't point to the correct
locations, etc. If I forward X through ssh, it looks great and works
well, but I'd love to be able to keep my session going, so I'd like xpra
to work.

Most recently, if I start xpra, stop it, and try to start it again, I
get this:
Fatal server error:
failed to create screen resources

This might be more of an X problem, and I tried reinstalling it, but
that didn't seem to do anything. If anyone has seen anything like this
before, please help!

John