[winswitch] xpra issuses

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Thu May 2 10:45:37 BST 2013

(snip)
> So I finally got a chance to play with xpra a little.  To start with there was
> an update so I installed it.  Now I at least get a properly titled window on
> the remote host.  When it first launched guvcviewer I had the control window
> and the camera window.  The control window was fully populated but the camera
> window was blank.  As soon as I tried to use the controls the window went
> white.  Trying to close either window fails, eventually the kde window manager
> asks if you want to force close.  Forcing the window closed from the winswitch
> menu seams to close the session but leaves the windows open.
Hmm, that's odd. Looks like something has crashed.

> I tried to get a screen shot of the error that use to pop up but it did not
> show up this time.
>
> Short pause for dinner and some honey-do's.
>
> Next I tried launching gimp remotly.  This time it acted just like before.  I
> was able to get a screen shot of the error.
Can we see it?

> Then I changed the default seamless session type to nx on the desktop, but not
> via the config files, and tried again, same results.  Looking at the information
> menu item for the session it showed the session type as xpra.  So I rechecked
> the settings and confirmed that I had successfully changed it, and yes.  So I
> restarted winswitch.  Then I went to the laptop and changed the default
> session type to nx and restarted winswitch there too.  The I relaunched
> guvcviewer with the same results as before, captured the error in a
> screenshot.  I then checked the menu info item and it still shows the session
> type as xpra, hmmm.  I reconfirmed that the settings are set to nx and grabbed
> some screenshots for you of the destop setup.
Hmmm, that seems overly complicated:
* you can change the settings from the UI, can you not? No need to
restart then.
* there are global settings as well as per-server settings, maybe you
only changed the former?

> Apps started locally via winswitch are displayed correctly.
>
> Vbox wm's can be moved between machines successfully, although starting them
> remotly does not seem to work correctly.  The vm is started but not displayed
> remotly untill it is fully up and then moved to the remote machine.  Not a big
> issue at this time for me.
Right, we're probably trying to connect to it before it is ready.

> So I decided a complete restart was in order on both machines.  After the
> rebooot I have a guvcviewer menu item that is not movable nor openable on
> either machine.
guvcviewer is doing some video stuff, it may try to bypass the
compositor (xpra) to get the video onscreen and therefore may not work
properly.
I will try it when I get a chance.

> So to avoid confilct with that session I tried launching K3b (cd burning app)
> and it failed as before.
Which is?
>  And checking the session type in the info menu item
> shows that it is still using xpra and not nx.  Looking at the desktop server
> settings from the laptop shows that it is set to use xpar, but looking at the
> server setting on the desktop shows it set to nx.  But if I go to the server
> tab it the setings and right click on the desktop server and check the
> settings there they show xpra as the seamless default and it can not be
> changed, hmmmm.  I was able to capture the screen error.
My head just exploded.
* use the start application dialog instead, it lets you choose a lot
more options, including the session type
* or hold the "special" key ("Shift" by default) when you select an app
in the start menu, which will bring a dialog similar to the "start
application dialog" and includes protocol selection (xpra, nx..)

> As I mentioned at the start the only thing that has been changed is that I
> updated xpra before this round of debugging.
>
> What else can I try to assist you?
>
> Oh yea, I did disable the firewalls after the reboot to be sure they were not
> the problem.
>
> Autolaunch is enabled on the desktop but not on the laptop.
>
> I also noted that when looking at the available servers on the desktop, the
> desktop server does not have ssh capablities, yet I ssh in and out of the
> desktop all the time, and I can successfully connect to it via winswitch.  It
> just does not seam to have ssh with its self.
Your server log will probably tell you that your ssh configuration does
not allow "SSH X11 forwarding".

https://www.xpra.org/trac/wiki/Encodings

> After resting winswitch on both the laptop and the desktop I still have the
> old guvcviewer menu entry.  How do I make it go away?
xpra list
xpra stop :NNNNN
(or just kill it)