[winswitch] Ubuntu 13.04 - virgin install - repository install of winswitch / xpra

Stephen Gutknecht (hilltx) stephen at hilltx.com
Wed May 8 04:05:07 BST 2013

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 9:50 PM, Antoine Martin <antoine at nagafix.co.uk> wrote:
> On 05/08/2013 07:28 AM, Stephen Gutknecht (hilltx) wrote:
>> ok, I'm still lost. I decided to give xpra 0.9.0-1 another try.
>>
>> 1. Format of partition and fresh install of Ubuntu 13.04 x64 Desktop
>> without any updates or add-ons .
>> 2. Boot, login, "sudo su -" to root
>> 3. apt-get install curl
>>
>> http://winswitch.org/downloads/debian-repository.html?dist_select=raring
>>
>> 4. curl http://winswitch.org/gpg.asc | apt-key add -
>> 5. apt-get update
>> 6. apt-get install winswitch
>>
>> this results in no install. "E: Unable to locate package winswitch". Try xpra:
> winswitch was not available for raring yet, it is now - though the
> packages are completely untested at this point.
>
>> 7. apt-get install xpra
>>
>> apt-get install xpra
>> Reading package lists... Done
>> Building dependency tree
>> Reading state information... Done
>> Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
>> requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
>> distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
>> or been moved out of Incoming.
>> The following information may help to resolve the situation:
>>
>> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>>  xpra : Depends: libwebp2 but it is not installable
>>         Recommends: gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly but it is not going to
>> be installed
>>         Recommends: python-gst0.10 but it is not going to be installed
>>         Recommends: python-numeric but it is not installable
>>         Recommends: python-numpy but it is not going to be installed
>> E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
> Thanks for the details.
> Oh great, in raring, they've changed the library name from "libwebp2" to
> "libwebp4". This required patching the build files and a package
> rebuild. I've just pushed these (completely untested) packages here:
> http://xpra.org/dists/raring/
> (let's hope that the encoder bindings and actual picture encoding is
> backwards compatible... at least xpra should run as webp is not the
> default encoding)
>
> As for the rest:
> * python-numeric no longer exists but it is a soft dependency anyway,
> this is done to avoid having separate package control files for old
> distros which do not have python-numpy.
>
> * All the other soft dependencies do seem to exist though, so you just
> need to configure your system to get those packages from the ubuntu
> repositories:
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/raring/python-numpy
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/raring/gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/raring/python-gst0.10
>
> Cheers
> Antoine
>
> PS: I have not bumped the package version numbers so you may have to
> force your package manager to re-download the newer package builds.

a simple apt-get update seems to pick it up.

now I am getting a massive response ;)

$ sudo apt-get install winswitch
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  gir1.2-nautilus-3.0 gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly liba52-0.7.4
libavcodec53 libavutil51 libblas3 libdvdnav4 libdvdread4 libgfortran3
libgnome-desktop-2-17 libgsm1
  libjpeg62 liblapack3 libmad0 libmp3lame0 libmpeg2-4
libopencore-amrnb0 libopencore-amrwb0 libschroedinger-1.0-0
libsidplay1 libswscale2 libtwolame0 libva1
  libwebp4 libx264-123 libxcomp3 nxproxy python-avahi python-gdbm
python-gnomedesktop python-gst0.10 python-nautilus python-netifaces
python-numpy python-pyasn1
  python-rsvg python-support python-twisted python-twisted-conch
python-twisted-lore python-twisted-mail python-twisted-news
python-twisted-runner
  python-twisted-words python-utmp python-wimpiggy python-xlib
rdesktop tigervnc-viewer xpra xvfb
Suggested packages:
  libdvdcss2 debhelper fakeroot build-essential sidplay-base xsidplay
qtnx x2goclient python-gdbm-dbg python-gst0.10-dev python-gst0.10-dbg
python-numpy-doc
  python-numpy-dbg python-nose python-dev gfortran
python-twisted-runner-dbg pcscd devilspie imagemagick
python-packagekit xloadimage
Recommended packages:
  tigervnc-server nxagent vncviewer python-numeric
  gir1.2-nautilus-3.0 gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly liba52-0.7.4
libavcodec53 libavutil51 libblas3 libdvdnav4 libdvdread4 libgfortran3
libgnome-desktop-2-17 libgsm1
  libjpeg62 liblapack3 libmad0 libmp3lame0 libmpeg2-4
libopencore-amrnb0 libopencore-amrwb0 libschroedinger-1.0-0
libsidplay1 libswscale2 libtwolame0 libva1
  libwebp4 libx264-123 libxcomp3 nxproxy python-avahi python-gdbm
python-gnomedesktop python-gst0.10 python-nautilus python-netifaces
python-numpy python-pyasn1
  python-rsvg python-support python-twisted python-twisted-conch
python-twisted-lore python-twisted-mail python-twisted-news
python-twisted-runner
  python-twisted-words python-utmp python-wimpiggy python-xlib
rdesktop tigervnc-viewer winswitch xpra xvfb
0 upgraded, 52 newly installed, 0 to remove and 15 not upgraded.
Need to get 18.5 MB of archives.
After this operation, 54.5 MB of additional disk space will be used.

$ xpra --version
xpra v0.9.0

OK - Good results, now the winswitch.org repository is working correctly.

However, I'm now hitting the same problem with permissions that I
reported in my first thread.  So clearly some kind of change between
v0.3.3 and v0.9 in regards to Ubuntu 13.04 permissions.

Fatal server error:
xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/tty0 (No such file or directory)

which I can hack chmod, but then /dev/tty8 does similar, then
xf86EnableIOPorts permission problem comes up next.

If you want, I can setup a KVM guest on a reverse-ssh proxy of a
virgin Ubuntu 13.04 install and leave it open for you for a couple
days to poke around.

P.S. One note about my first posting in this thread, I left out step
between 4 and 5 where I did the -- echo "deb http://winswitch.org/
raring main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winswitch.list; -- I did it on
my system but left it out in my email posting ;)