[winswitch] secure clipboard syncing?

Timo Juhani Lindfors timo.lindfors at iki.fi
Sun Oct 6 09:05:55 BST 2013

Antoine Martin <antoine at nagafix.co.uk> writes:
> You seem to misunderstand how the X11 clipboard works: what is
> synchronized is not the clipboard contents themselves, but the ownership
> of the clipboard selection.

Do you mean "primary selection" here? I use

#!/bin/bash

function show_container {
    name="$1"
    cmd="$2"
    escaped_data="`$cmd | cat -A | tr -d '\n' | cut --bytes=1-70`"
    echo "$name: \"$escaped_data\""
}

for i in primary secondary clipboard; do
    show_container $i "xclip -o -selection $i"
done;
for i in `seq 0 7`; do
    show_container cut$i "xcb -p $i"
done

to debug things:

$ xcutselprint
primary: ""
secondary: ""
clipboard: "http://xpra.org/trac/wiki/Clipboard"
cut0: ":~$ $"
cut1: ""
cut2: ""
cut3: ""
cut4: ""
cut5: ""
cut6: ""
cut7: ""

Running this in a loop on the malicious server led me to discover that
sometimes they can see data that I did not intend to send over network.