[winswitch] xpra proxy/shadow-start: expected 1 argument but got 2

James Gatannah jamesgatannah at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 04:48:59 BST 2014

I ran into this on ubuntu trusty, using the baseline distro install (xpra
0.12.3--I haven't gotten around to playing with winswitch yet).

Googling didn't turn up anything except bug #632 (which helped me figure out
what was going on) and an obnoxious rant from a couple of months ago. Which
doesn't seem fair, especially since this really isn't your fault.

The problem really happens when it's parsing the client-side command line
options to build the proxy command. That unexpected second argument comes
from the true that should be associated with Xsession. My guess is that it's
something funky with this version of the ConfigParser library, but I was more
interested in getting up and running than actually tracking down a root
cause.

Changing xpra.conf to put quotes around that line:

start-child = "/etc/X11/Xsession true"

fixed the glitch.

Anyway. I'm really just sharing in the hopes that the next person who runs
across this will find something useful (although I have to say that the reply
to that rant was very classy).

Thanks for a very cool tool that I'm really glad to have discovered,
James