[winswitch] How to use "randr" to resize the desktop?

Heng Zhou hzhou1 at cs.uml.edu
Sat Dec 27 18:09:58 GMT 2014

I'm sorry I'm getting more and more confused. To run RandR, i.e., xrandr, I
have to use xpra to hold the whole desktop (if xpra forwards only
application, the xpra window can resize at the client side. Yes it can),
but the http://xpra.org/trac/wiki/Usage webpage requires using Xnest as a
nested X11 server. I did not run Xdummy or Xvfb. Actually I don't know how
to run Xdummy -- there is a command "xvfb" in ubuntu, but there is no
command of Xdummy or xdummy. So I don't understand your reply "Xdummy
supports RandR, Xvfb does not, hence the error.". I only run Xnest. Do you
mean  Xnest is equivalent to Xdummy or Xvfb? For the former, Xdummy doesn't
work on ubuntu so RANDR doesn't work. For the latter, Xvfb does not support
GLX so metacity and all other OpenGL applications do not work. Am I right?
If I am, which one is Xnest equivalent to?

And as for Xdummy, does it run automatically after I run xpra, so it is
expected  that a virtual frame buffer, or a virtual graphics card exists on
display :100 after xpra start :100, so I can run glxgears on a remote Red
Hat machine (on display :100), e.g., Amazon EC2 Red Hat instance, without
any trouble like those I encountered on ubuntu, right? Hopefully my
understanding is right.

Gnome Panel is the only desktop I can use on Amazon EC2 instance, which
appears only under Xnest. If I run Xephyr, the xpra window is black. There
are bugs anywhere in Linux world.