[winswitch] assigning input devices to xpra instance?

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Sun Jan 26 05:21:14 GMT 2014

On 26/01/14 07:12, ... wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am exploring making a multiseat system (multiple users with multiple
> monitors/mice/keyboards on one computer) with only one graphics card
> feeding two terminals.  Tutorials on line for doing this all talk about
> Xephyr.  (If you had multiple cards, you'd start an new X server for each
> user.)  The Xephyr dev hates that xypher is used for multiseat and so it
> really isn't the best tool.
>
> Xpra is sort of similar to Xephyr.
Not really. Xpra is a window manager, Xephyr is a display manager.
Window managers operate on top of a display manager and do not deal with
devices.

Xpra uses Xvfb or Xdummy, one can use Xephyr with Xpra to get full
screen sessions ala VNC, but that's a completely different use case.
>   One thing Xephyr has is the ability to
> have devices from evdev (/dev/input/) assigned to a particular instance of
> it, so one mouse and one keyboard only send information to that one Xephyr
> session.  Does Xpra have any functionality like that,
No, and it won't. This is not the right place to do it.
>  or could it be hacked
> in some way using another program in conjunction with Xpra?
I don't understand how Xpra would fit in your scheme.
My advice: get a cheap second graphics card.