[winswitch] [Xpra] Sound problem

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Tue Dec 1 09:29:35 GMT 2015

On 01/12/15 15:35, John Smith wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 10:38 PM, Antoine Martin <antoine at nagafix.co.uk
> <mailto:antoine at nagafix.co.uk>> wrote:
>
>     On 30/11/15 08:48, John Smith wrote:
>     > Hi all,
>     >
>     > I'm running Xpra with version 0.15.8( server, trusty amd64) and 0.16.0
>     > r11304 (client, MS Windows 7 64bit).
>     > Recently, I have had problem with the sound. Sometimes, the sound is
>     > broken/interrupted, it will reappear after reattaching several times.
>     >  I checked on the server (using top -c ), and noticed that when the sound
>     > from client was interrupted, the sound xpra process(/usr/bin/python
>     > /usr/bin/xpra _sound_record - - pulsesrc mp3 1.0 -d) was inactive, it was
>     > just switched on only when it was attached.
>     Please define "inactive" and "switched on".
>
> "inactive" means the xpra-sound process (PID 49163) is not used. The
> value of "TIME+" column from top command is not increased anymore
> (0:00.12).
>  "switched on" means I can listen the sound from client ( was
> interrupted before ) after reattaching xpra. (1)
So, one is a specific process state, the other measured through senses.
Which is still leaving me confused about the meaning of that original
sentence: (re-)starting the sound should create a new process.

> After (1), at the server, one new xpra-sound process was appeared:
> main-xpra(pid 1145), old-sound-xpra(49163), new-sound-xpra(53243).
> I can't also kill old-sound-xpra process by "kill 49163", but can kill
> by "kill -9 49163"
Unused sound processes not going away is a known issue in 0.15 which is
fixed in 0.16:
http://xpra.org/trac/ticket/1001

>     Note: quite a few sound related bugs are fixed in the 0.16.0 server.
>
> I tried running xpra 0.16.0 r11304 for server(trusty), same as client
> (MS Windows 7). But the sound is disabled if I'm running xpra with it.
> I attached the output of xpra attach with '-d sound'
This sounds like a bug which needs to be fixed before the final release.
Can you please create a ticket for it?
Your client log does not contain anything of interest, the problem is
likely to be on the server side. Maybe some missing sound plugins there?

>     > How to switch on the sound from client without attaching?
>     You should be able to use the systray to toggle the sound on and off.
>
> I found this ticket <https://www.xpra.org/trac/ticket/1003>, and used
> "xpra control :100 sound-output stop && xpra control :100 sound-output
> start mp3" to restarting the sound.
This should have the same effect as using the system tray, except you
can choose the codec to use - which is not necessarily a good thing
since we want to retire mp3 and move to vorbis.