[winswitch] xpra 0.16.0 with Ubuntu Trusty (was announcement email thread)

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Wed Dec 30 13:32:08 GMT 2015

On 30/12/15 20:07, Norman Rasmussen wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 3:52 PM, Antoine Martin
> <antoine at nagafix.co.uk <mailto:antoine at nagafix.co.uk>> wrote:
>
> On 29/12/15 22:48, Douglas Doole wrote:
>> Hi Antoine. Any ETA for the 0.16 binary to be available for
>> Ubuntu  14.04 (trusty)?
> Ubuntu Trusty is not supported with newer versions (0.16 and
> later). I will continue to maintain the 0.15 branch for those
> distros unable to make the jump.
>

> What does 0.16 require that trusty doesn't have?  i.e. if I wanted
> to upgrade to 0.16 what do I need to pull from a newer release to
> support it?
The main stumbling block with making builds for Trusty is that we have
removed support for the ill-fated Debian libav fork and will only
support ffmpeg going forward.

I have made builds for Trusty and those work fine but they lack h264
decoding which is done via our "dec_avcodec2", and the colourspace
conversion step is done via the slow cython fallback.

There is a 0.16.1-RC build there right now (but beware that the beta
area gets cleaned up and refreshed regularly, 0.17 alpha builds are
coming up next):
http:/xpra.org/beta/trusty/

h264 is the default encoding because it provides the best performance,
which is why I don't want to make a new release without it.
It would be seen as a regression for many use cases.
The vp8 encoding is pretty close, but it has not had the same amount
of testing.

The other problem with Trusty is OpenGL driver stability.

Another potential problem is the move to GStreamer 1.x and the
packaging changes that go with it.

If there is enough demand for it, I guess I could change my mind on
this issue, but only if enough Trusty users request it and do enough
testing...

The next Ubuntu LTS release will be supported in 0.16 and later.