[winswitch] Windows not appearing in task manager

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Mon Jun 22 16:24:37 BST 2015

On 22/06/15 16:54, Douglas Doole wrote:
> Since upgrading to xpra 0.15.x (both .0 and .1 have this problem) I've had
> trouble with windows not appearing in the task manager. (xpra 0.14.x never
> had this problem.)
FWIW: there is a lot of new code to do with window grouping in the task
bar for MS Windows clients, but the code is almost identical to v0.14.x
for all the other platforms.

Which windows do and don't appear in the task manager, depends on the
task manager and various window attributes - most importantly the
"window type" and "group-leader", and potentially other attributes (pid,
etc).
You can view some those properties with something like:
$ xpra info | egrep "window-type=|class-instance=|\.title=|transient="
> For example, I'll start one konsole over xpra and it will appear in the
> task manager. Yet when I start a second konsole it appears on screen, but
> not in the task manager.
Some task managers do group applications by type/class or pid.
This could be happening here.
>  Unfortunately I haven't been able to pin down a
> pattern to which windows appear in the task bar and which ones don't.
> (Today, the first window I created showed up in the task bar and the rest
> are not. I do not, however, have consistent good luck with the first window
> created.) The problem does not seem to be tied to a specific application.
> (I mostly use konsole and gvim, but I've seen the problem with other
> applications as well.)
This sort of bug should be mostly application agnostic.
> As I'm playing with things and writing this note, I see that it's having
> more trouble than I originally thought. I have now also seen an existing
> task manager entry disappear as a new window is created. The task manage
> entry for the new window may or may not be created.
This sounds very broken indeed.
Can you please file a ticket so we can track this?
There are already some platform integration items due for 0.16, like
integrating into Unity / Gnome3 / Windows 7 onwards task bar / etc..
> My client and server are both running Ubuntu 14.04. My client is using KDE.
>
> I have tried starting with client with "-d window" but it didn't report
> anything. Is there a different debug option I should use?
You can try with "-d client", but this is going to be very verbose and
you will need to grep the output for things like "group_leader".