[winswitch] xpra full desktop

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Wed May 27 10:04:36 BST 2015

On 27/05/15 09:46, basd wrote:
> So, now I have a one-click launcher that runs this script:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> xpra start --start-child="Xephyr :200 -screen 1300x700" :100 &
> sleep 20
> DISPLAY=:200 icewm &
> xpra attach :100
> exit
>
> That starts an icewm desktop session on :100, which I then retrieve on my other computer via
>
> xpra attach ssh:192.168.85:100
>
> I can retrieve it back by xpra attach :100.  It doesn't appear that I can send it into limbo by
> exiting the window, that seems to kill the X session.
Try:
xpra detach
Or just exit the client from the tray.
Closing the window closes Xephyr, which kills everything running on that
display, including icewm.
> I picked 1300 x 700 since it will fit on most of my physical monitors.
>
> I installed arandr and lxrandr, so I can resize the running screen to the available pre-sets.  This
> works, although it's not as convenient as dragging the corner of the window to re-size it.
>
> I still haven't figured out a method for clean shut down.  As a result, the script is only good for
> one run after I reboot the server.  I know there are the Xephyr -terminate and xpra
> --exit-with-children option, but not certain how to implement them so that I can pass the running
> session from computer to computer but shut the session down when I want it ended.  (In TigerVNC I
> can usually run a "logout" but I noticed "logout" in the xpra/Xephyr session will trigger a logout
> of the running desktop session on the server.)
There should not be any difference with any other tool, VNC or other.
We don't handle the logout buttons in any special way. This is far
removed from the role of xpra and is handled (often badly) by the
desktop environments.
> I don't know if "sleep 20" is necessary, maybe it can be shortened to 10 or 15 seconds, but if the
> DISPLAY command runs too quickly after the xpra start, the windowmanager will not find a running X
> session and so will fail.
>
> The attached screenshot shows the running desktop, with an icewm panel at the bottom and a kde3
> kicker panel at the top, with the launcher open.
The mailing list scrubs attachments.