[winswitch] xpra openSuSE 13.1 to windows 8.1 (good news)
basd1 at fastbk.com
Wed May 27 17:42:45 BST 2015
1. I finally solved the problem of xpra not running on my openSuSE 13.1 server. There were missing
dependencies. These were listed in the big spec file I found somewhere on the xpra or winwitch
websites, but this spec file would not build. I had used a different spec file that did not have
all of the dependencies. (xpra version 0.14.24)
2. This server is successfully serving xpra applications to windows 8.1 (I have a different server
that will provide an xterm, but crashes when I open a kde application from the xterm. I guess,
debug one problem at a time -- but fortunately, the one that is "working" is my primary server.)
3. I am attaching a screenshot from my windows 8.1 laptop. You can see several features: (a)
there is an xterm window with a simple menu on it. This is the xterm I started with
winswitch>application>custom command. The menu is a bash script running in ~/bin on the server.
4. The top of the screen is a KDE 3.5 panel that I launched from xterm.
5. Krita is running on the desktop from the server, launched from the KDE 3.5 panel.
I can set up the same "system" via an ssh X session, but this xpra session works way better, is
persistent and can be handed off to other computers.
Totally awesome, Antoine!
More information about the shifter-users