[winswitch] Xpra Initialization Error: invalid mode 'start'

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Fri Aug 26 05:57:45 BST 2016

On 26/08/16 00:24, Clement Lai via shifter-users wrote:
> To whom it may concern,I am new to Xpra. From the web page it indicates that Xpra is able to forward full desktops, from X11 servers, MS Windows, or Mac OS X.
>
> I was able to run the command below to start a process on Linux and connect to it from other client desktops:xpra start :100 --start-child=xterm
>
> On Windows and MacOS, I attempted to run a similar command but encountered the following error:
>
> xpra initialization error:
>  invalid mode 'start'
"xpra start" is for starting seamless servers (forwarding individual
windows) and is only supported on platforms with native X11 servers.
It is not supported with Cygwin or with Mac OSX as it wouldn't be very
useful on those platforms and would also be very difficult to build.

> The commands I tried were:
>
> /c/'Program Files (x86)'/Xpra_cmd start :100 --start-child=cmd (on Windows)
>
> /Applications/Xpra.app/Contents/MacOS/Xpra start :100 --start-child='open Terminal .' (on MacOS)
>
> Are Windows and MacOS supported as a remote server or am I not using it correctly? Please kindly advise.
On Windows and MacOS you can only forward an existing full desktop and
not individual windows. This mode is called "shadow":
http://xpra.org/trac/wiki/ShadowServer
ie:
xpra_cmd.exe shadow --bind-tcp=0.0.0.0:10000
Or on OSX with a PKG install:
Xpra shadow --bind-tcp=0.0.0.0:10000

I strongly recommend you to test the latest beta builds for shadow
support as these include a lot of keyboard fixes and some significant
performance improvements:
http://xpra.org/beta/

FYI desktop mode on X11 will also be much improved in the next release:
http://xpra.org/trac/ticket/1247