[winswitch] HTML5 authentication

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Sat Dec 31 04:31:41 GMT 2016

On 31/12/16 02:17, Mukul Agrawal wrote:
> Thanks Antoine!
> I am just starting to look into this aspect and trying to understand
> what the risks are.
> I understand that risks are very use case dependent. So please excuse me
> for vague question.
>
> Do you think that once I setup TLS transport for the HTML5 client, it
> will make client reasonably secured against most common security concerns?
TLS can be quite complicated and the handling within websockets varies
with each browser.
That said, the URL which contains the authentication tokens are
* safe from sniffing: not sent in the clear
* safe from referers: there aren't any external links
but the tokens may still show in your browser's history cache.

> If I plan to take up a project for myself, would it be super hard to try
> to integrate the HTML5 client with some sort of single-sign-on using
> Auth0 or something similar?
Looks reasonably easy to implement at first glance.
You will need to define a new authentication module for the server and
modify the HTML5 connect page.

> Do you have any recommendations or thoughts?
Make sure that the library you choose for implementing single-sign-on
does not hide the complexity behind generic interfaces.
SSO has a number of security issues associated with it..