[winswitch] mp3/vorbis support for xpra html5 client

Joshua Higgins joshiggins at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 09:25:21 GMT 2016

Hi Calvin,

The Web Audio API seems extremely picky when it comes to decoding arbitrary
encoded sound data and doesn't seem to want to do anything with the mp3
chunks we get from an Xpra server (maybe needs alignment client-side). It
doesn't seem possible at this point to test for codecs supported by the
browser either. The ticket was #845.

The aurora.js library showed promise to decode the mp3 format and then pass
the PCM sample data to Web Audio API, but with everything else going on in
the page it will have a significant performance impact. It correctly
identifies the stream format but still doesn't want to decode the audio
data from an Xpra server without any preprocessing client side. But even
this doesn't make sense since most browsers should be capable of decoding
mp3 natively through Web Audio API anyway!

It is on my radar to look at this again at some point.

Josh