[winswitch] high latency (was dpi switch..)

Thomas Esposito tmesposito00 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 05:05:45 BST 2016

As an experiment, I tried binding my xpra session to TCP port 5910, which
is within the range typically used by VNC (also no encryption, which is
fine because I'm on a private corporate intranet). The idea is to test out
a theory that the network admins have prioritized VNC traffic (because
there are a lot of people depending on remote VNC access) by classifying on
the TCP port.

It could be placebo, but it actually seems much better. I don't really see
the latency spikes that I was seeing before, although I'd have to use it
longer to be sure. It could also simply be that there is less network
traffic at this time of day. IF my theory is true, and VNC traffic
(identified by port) is being treated more favorably and consistently in
the network, perhaps this is reducing the probability that I will encounter
xpra bugs manifesting as catastrophic performance degradation triggered by
changing network conditions.