[winswitch] Off Topic: How to stream audio from a linux app to a browser

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Thu Oct 20 12:07:22 BST 2016

On 20/10/16 17:36, tzahi ml via shifter-users wrote:
> Tried that but there is a 3 sec delay (which is better than simply
> icecasting but still)... good to know though.
> Wish there was a way to get it to 1 sec.
With xpra, you should be able to get less than 0.5 sec, network
permitting. (and not with IE...)

> that would be totally acceptable.
> All these are transcoding the sound into mp3/ogg and this requires some
> kind of buffering which takes at least 3 sec.
Xpra can transcode to most of these formats in under 0.1s, other more
efficient formats like opus and vorbis take even less time.

> The only way i see is to send the data as is to the browser and play it.
> But, that sounds like scifi to me.
> Xpra html5 could encode the audio in the h264 stream when it will be
> available.
> Seems like the only way to get good results.
WAV or MP3 can get decent results, the ultimate goal is to use AAC in an
mpeg4 container. We're not going to mux it with the video because that's
just too messy (there can be no video at times, etc...)

I am working on the HTML5 client updates right now, just bear with me..