[winswitch] openGL application under XPRA

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Wed Apr 12 05:53:00 BST 2017

On 12/04/17 07:15, Titusi Forum via shifter-users wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I am running openGL application (e.g. Matlab) on a remote headless ubuntu
Which Ubuntu version? (16.04 I would guess)

> server with no graphics card of its own. I am using XPRA 1.0 to remotely
> transport the graphics to my local MSWin10 desktop.
Which Xpra version on the client?

> I am running into whole bunch of libGL errors saying swrast_dri.so library
> is missing.
Which exact errors messages? Those from matlab I assume.

> I am guessing this is all related to the fact that I don't have graphics
> card on the remote server. Isn't there any way to tell the application to
> use software openGL in one way or other?
There is: use Xdummy.
It is disabled by default on some versions of Ubuntu (on 16.04):
https://xpra.org/trac/wiki/Xdummy#Ubuntu

> I tried using VirtualGL, but I am not sure how to use it with XPRA. First
> of all, is this the right track?
No. VirtualGL requires a GPU on the server.

> If yes, then can you tell me if
> $VGL_DISPLAY needs to point to the same display on which XPRA is running?
>
> I am pretty clueless at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> By the way XPRA works beautifully for non openGL applications for me.
Works great for OpenGL applications too, just not with Ubuntu 16.04.