[winswitch] Loss of focus and screen refresh when switching between work spaces

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Wed Jan 4 18:09:49 GMT 2017

On 05/01/17 00:20, Christopher Faylor via shifter-users wrote:
> Hi,
> I am running xpra on a Fedora 24 system, using it to run "pidgin" so
> that I can keep the client alive between home and work.  pidgin consists
> of two windows:  a Buddy window and the main chat window which has multiple
> tabs for different conversations.  I run pidgin on a Gentoo system on
> workspace 2.  The xpra version is: xpra-1.0-2.fc24.armv7hl .
>
> The Gentoo system is running xpra-0.17.6.
What is your desktop environment?

> My problem is that, whenever I switch away from the workspace, the chat
> window stops updating and I lose the ability to type anything in it when
> I switch back.
Sounds like the code detects the change in workspace but not the switch
back to that workspace.
You may have to create a ticket so we can fix this.

You can try running the client with "-d workspace" to get more
information. ("-d window" may also have some extra details)

> The buddy window still remains active and, in fact, when selecting the
> chat window, anything I type goes to the buddy window.  I do have things
> set up so that the buddy window doesn't show anything on the taskbar.  I
> only have the chat window icon on the taskbar.
>
> If I toggle the "OpenGL" setting from the Xpra icon I can get back
> proper behavior in the chat window until the next time I switch from the
> workspace.
Toggling OpenGL will re-create the window, which will also re-map it.
It effectively re-starts from scratch.

Does minimizing the window and then unminimizing it also fix things?

> If it matters:  pidgin-2.11.0-1.fc24.armv7hl
What's your DE?