[winswitch] Xpra running Wireshark in Docker container

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Wed Oct 11 11:25:57 BST 2017

(snip)
>> For your use-case, you may also want to remove "ffmpeg-xpra" as per:
>> http://xpra.org/trac/changeset/17145
>
> I managed to reduce the docker image size quite a bit (to 480MB) by using the --no-install-recommends switch for apt-get install. Unfortunately changeset 17145 was not included in the latest available xpra 2.2 beta which is from yesterday morning. Could you trigger a new xpra 2.2 beta build for centos including that changeset?
I wasn't 100% sure which specific distro versions you needed here, as
you've mentioned both "apt-get" and "CentOS", so I've pushed some new
2.2 beta 64-bit builds for Ubuntu Zesty and Artful, Debian Stretch, all
current versions of Fedora and CentOS 7.4.
And for good measure, also MS Windows and MacOS.

> I did see a few new errors though:
>
> The following is probably related to python-uinput not being installed. If it is required, it should be a mandatory dependency. If it is not required, xpra shouldn’t fail.
> 2017-10-11 07:21:44,355 cannot access python uinput module:
> 2017-10-11 07:21:44,355  No module named uinput
This is not a failure, just an informational message.
Warnings and errors are printed in orange or red to a terminal output,
and they are preceded with the string "Warning" or "Error".

uinput is optional, for more information see here:
https://xpra.org/trac/ticket/1611

> The following is new as well
> Error running "xauth add :0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 7e0f55cb5f2a433993a09f12bcea0794": [Errno 2] No such file or directory
This usually happens when the XAUTHORITY file cannot be created or
accessed. I'm not sure why this would be a new thing.

> Even though I included dbus-control=no and dbus-proxy=no I still get this error:
> /bin/sh: 1: dbus-launch: not found
> dbus-launch failed to start using command 'dbus-launch --close-stderr':
>  exit code is 127
> 2017-10-11 07:21:54,388 Warning: menu forwarding is disabled:
> 2017-10-11 07:21:54,388  cannot load dbus helper: No module named dbus
You haven't installed dbus or the python bindings for it.
These features are optional, to avoid the warning you can use:
"--dbus-launch=no"

> The following is also new and I would like to understand if I should install this package as dependency. For what does xpra use the package?
> 2017-10-11 07:21:54,404 Warning: the python netifaces package is missing
That's for multicast DNS support:
https://xpra.org/trac/wiki/MulticastDNS

> There is one message regarding Gstream which I don’t understand
> Warning: failed to import GStreamer 1.x:
>  No module named gi
You have not installed the python bindings for gstreamer.
(aka GObject Introspection bindings)

>>> - Running current stable Xpra version results in several error messages (see below). I’d appreciate input why these occur (check https://github.com/ffeldhaus/docker-wireshark/blob/master/xpra.conf for the config options). I’d be especially interested in
>>>   - Why does renaming '/run/user/1000/xpra/Xorg.S1.log' to '/run/user/1000/xpra/Xorg.:0.log' fail?
>> That's a bug in the Xorg server, a fix has been submitted upstream:
>> http://xpra.org/trac/ticket/1192
>
> Let’s wait and see when this will be merged into Xorg.
>
>>>   - Why does Xpra try to create socket directory in '/run/xpra' even though socket dir was specified as /run/user/1000/xpra and xpra was run as non root user?
>> See "socket-dirs" as well as "socket-dir".
>> (yes, it is a bit confusing having both, we kinda messed up that one -
>> too late to go back, sorry)
>
> Using socket-dirs instead of socket-dir fixed this.
>
>>>   - Why does Xpra show an ERROR related to X11 property 'PULSE_SERVER' even though pulseaudio=no is specified in config file?
>> The "_sound_query" subcommand is probing gstreamer to see what elements
>> should be used for audio forwarding, and part of this query will try to
>> figure out if pulseaudio is available. (which is separate from the
>> pulseaudio=no command line option which controls if we start it or not)
>>
>> For whatever reason, your "/usr/bin/xpra" ends up trying to use GTK3
>> (maybe loading GTK2 failed?), this doesn't work well before xpra 2.2
>
> This seems to be fixed in xpra 2.2. The only error left is the following, which I understand should be a warning:
> 2017-10-11 07:21:56,950 Error: failed to query sound subsystem:
> 2017-10-11 07:21:56,950  query did not return any data
As per above, the sound subsystem requires gstreamer and you have not
installed the python bindings, or gstreamer, or both.

>>> - When I access Wireshark via Webinterface using Firefox 57 I have issues with special characters (y and z are working correct, but ! = # as well as öäü and others are not working). I’ve seen some fixed issues around this, but this seems to be a new one. With Chrome it works better, but not perfect (! = # work but öäü do not work). Should I report this as an issue?
>> Yes please. Make sure you include all the required details:
>> https://www.xpra.org/trac/wiki/Keyboard#ReportingBugs
>>
>> Keyboard mapping issues are always "interesting".
>>
>>> - Is it possible to force SSL connections when accessing the HTML client? I successfully configured SSL, but ideally all HTTP connections should be upgraded to HTTPS (maybe using HSTS).
>> In xpra 2.2, you can specify different socket types for different ports.
>> For example:
>> xpra --bind-wss=0.0.0.0:14500
>> This will only allow secure websockets / https.
>>
>> For more information, see:
>> https://xpra.org/trac/ticket/1504#comment:2
>
> Using --bind-wss works to enfore SSL when using xpra 2.2.
An option for HSTS would be nice to have, I'll see what can be done.