[winswitch] Scaling on Newer Retina displays

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Tue Dec 11 04:08:43 GMT 2018

On 03/12/2018 09:29, Shane Williams via shifter-users wrote:
> I have a user who is running xpra (probably 2.3) on a new
> MacBook Pro with Retina, connecting to an Ubuntu system running xpra
> 2.4.2.  Various programs (notably xemacs or various terminals) display
> as very small on his Mac (to the point where it's basically impossible
> to read the text).
Are you using the patched dummy driver from the repository?

> We've used the scaling setting to make these
> windows larger,
Which scaling setting? From the system tray menu?

> but by the time text would be large enough to read,
> it's gotten so fuzzy/noisy that you can't really read it that way
> either.
Desktop scaling does dumb upscaling, without any anti-aliasing.

> I've read the xpra web page about DPI and followed most of the links,
> but it's still not clear to me whether there's a solution other than
> scaling.
Have you tried playing with the --dpi= switch *before* starting your
applications?

> Is anyone using a high-DPI Retina display with xpra that
> might have suggestions on how to improve the readability/usability in
> this situation?
I believe what you are looking for is recorded in this ticket:
http://xpra.org/trac/ticket/1933
Feel free to subscribe to it and / or add any details if you have any.