[winswitch] [xpra] HTML5 client: open link clicked on remote machine in local browser

Matteo Ipri matteo.ipri at arpm.co
Wed May 30 13:14:05 BST 2018

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 5:30 AM, Antoine Martin via shifter-users <
shifter-users at lists.devloop.org.uk> wrote:

> On 30/05/18 05:27, Matteo Ipri via shifter-users wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > First of all, thanks for this amazing tool!
> >
> > While doing some experiments with xpra, I found myself in the situation
> > where a GUI app running in a remote virtual machine presents me a link
to a
> > website. If I click on that link, obviously, the default browser on the
> > remote machine is launched and the website is opened.
> > I would like to have those links to open on my local browser where I am
> > running the xpra HTML5 client.
> > Is there a way to do this?
> Yes, see:
> https://xpra.org/trac/ticket/1726#comment:2
>
> Cheers
> Antoine

Thanks! I tried it but I can not make it work.

I typed

$ xdg-open https://www.google.com

in a xterm window running on the remote machine, accessed via the HTML5
xpra client running in Chromium on my local PC.
Apparently nothing happened, but looking at the logs on the remote machine
I found this

2018-05-30 11:59:48,465 New unix-domain connection received on
/home/jovyan/.xpra/b58813db02a7-0
2018-05-30 11:59:48,466 Warning: remote end does not accept URLs

How can I add the open-url=yes option to the HTML5 client?

I started xpra with the following command

$ xpra start \
--daemon=no \
--bind-tcp=0.0.0.0:8888 \
--html=on \
--ssl=off \
--bandwidth-limit=500kbps \
--bell=no \
--pulseaudio=no \
--webcam=no \
--mdns=no \
--system-tray=no \
--clipboard-direction=both \
--file-transfer=yes \
--forward-xdg-open=yes \
--start=xterm \
--xvfb="Xvfb -dpi 96 -noreset -nolisten tcp +extension GLX +extension RANDR
+extension RENDER +extension Composite -screen 0 1600x900x24+32"

I run a reverse proxy with TLS termination in front of xpra.
I run xpra v2.3-r19255 since I can not install the latest version.
Whenever I try to do an "apt-get update" I get:

W: GPG error: http://winswitch.org artful Release: The following signatures
were invalid: BADSIG 18ADB31CF18AD6BB Antoine Martin <antoine at nagafix.co.uk>
E: The repository 'http://winswitch.org artful Release' is not signed.
W: GPG error: https://xpra.org artful Release: The following signatures
were invalid: BADSIG 18ADB31CF18AD6BB Antoine Martin <antoine at nagafix.co.uk>
E: The repository 'https://xpra.org artful Release' is not signed.

I tried both repositories alone, together, with http, with https...
I also tried adding the updated keys using all solutions provided here:
https://winswitch.org/trac/ticket/304
and here:
http://lists.devloop.org.uk/pipermail/shifter-users/2018-May/002122.html

Any suggestion?