[winswitch] Terminating Xpra does not terminate spawned Xorg until Xpra becomes ready

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Thu Nov 1 07:53:41 GMT 2018

On 01/11/2018 10:36, Troll Berserker via shifter-users wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to terminate Xpra if it didn't not become ready within some
> period of time.
> I've noticed that terminating Xpra (by sending SIGTERM or SIGINT) does
> not terminate the already spawned Xorg server.
It does, but there was a bug (not directly in xpra AFAICT) which caused
the python cleanup hooks to fail to run, leaving the Xorg process alive.

For more details, see:
https://xpra.org/trac/ticket/1943

Just make sure that you're up to date and everything will work fine.

> It wouldn't be a problem to kill the Xorg server if there were an easy
> way to get its PID from Xpra.
> But Xpra makes it more hard than necessary by using its main PID in the
> Xorg.log name instead of Xorg's PID.
> E.g. if Xpra is started with PID 300, it uses this PID in the Xorg.log
> file name even though the PID of the child where the Xorg is exec()d is
> 303.
That's difficult to improve: the log filename is specified as an
argument to the Xorg process. At that point, the new process ID is not
known.

In any case, the number you see is not the PID but the display number.