[winswitch] OpenGL Setup Failure

Bob Babcock wssddc at wssddc.com
Sat Oct 13 07:06:29 BST 2018

Antoine Martin wrote:
> The Xpra 2.x series switched to native builds thanks to MSYS2. This
> doesn't use MSVC for building anything so I don't understand why you
> would need the VC runtime.

I'm afraid I can't reproduce the problem.  What I had to install on 32-bit
Windows 8.1 was
Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable (x86) - 14.0.23026

But if I uninstall this, Xpra and Xpra installers still work. (Doesn't matter if
it's 2.3.4 before or after the OpenGL fix or 2.4 beta.)

The error I got was xxxx140.dll missing; I didn't record exactly the leading
characters, but it's an error I've seen often enough to recognize that a C++
redistributable was needed.  Probably it  was MSVCP140.DLL.  Most machines will
already have this either because some other application needed it and Windows 10
probably includes it in the base OS.

> No fiddling should be necessary. For using a non-standard ssh port like
> 2222, simply use:
> xpra attach ssh://HOST:2222/

The fiddling certainly had a large component of new user confusion. I recall
playing with what I might call punctuation, i.e. slashes and colons. To attach
to an existing connection rather than starting a new one, my bat file does
pretty much what you specify.

start xpra attach ssh/%username%@%host%:%port%/%display%

I have never actually had a need for a non-default display; it just adds
complication to my bat file.