[winswitch] [xpra] make the build reproducible

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Tue Oct 30 04:06:08 GMT 2018

On 30/10/2018 06:10, Amit Biswas via shifter-users wrote:
> Whilst working on the Reproducible Builds effort [0], we noticed that
> xpra could not be built reproducibly. This is due to the inclusion of
> xpra/build_info.py file [1], which sets a variable BUILD_MACHINE to
> the result of platform.uname(). The syscall is especially
> unreproducible in containers, where it returns the instruction set of
> the host kernel.
>
> In addition to BUILD_MACHINE, other bits of build info like BUILD_CPU,
> BUILD_TIME, BUILD_DATE in that file makes reproducibility challenging.
> If you are open the the idea, I can provide a patch removing or
> replacing them with alternatives like SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH [2]. Feel free
> to respond with your thoughts on this.
Please create a ticket and attach your patch there.

Although a reproducible build is a laudable goal, it isn't the
primordial concern for all the platforms we support and we would not
want to replace the information we currently collect when running on say
macos or win32, as this data can be too valuable to lose there.