[winswitch] Build procedure for Mac...

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Sun Sep 16 04:40:48 BST 2018

On 15/09/2018 21:43, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 11:37:40 +0700 Antoine Martin via shifter-users
> <shifter-users at lists.devloop.org.uk> wrote:
>> On 15/09/2018 02:53, Perry E. Metzger via shifter-users wrote:
>>> Howdy! I am a MacPorts committer, and was thinking of adding a
>>> Portfile to build the Mac client to MacPorts.
>>>
>>> Is there a good explanation of the build process for the Mac
>>> client somewhere on the web site?
>> https://xpra.org/trac/wiki/Building/MacOSX
>>
>> Building and installing xpra itself is trivial:
>> ./setup.py build
>> ./setup.py install
>> Tracking down all the dependencies is harder. For that, you should
>> be able to use the jhbuild moduleset files that we use:
>
> MacPorts handles dependencies internally.
That's my point: we ship a full-featured DMG (or PKG) on MacOS.
With MacPorts, you have more freedom which means you will need to decide
which dependencies are enabled by default and which ones are optional.
You can use the Debian control file and/or the RPM specfile to help you
figure out which dependencies are not strictly required.

>> https://xpra.org/trac/browser/xpra/trunk/osx/jhbuild
>> Feel free to ask any questions if you get stuck.
>> Note that xpra does not use X11 at all on MacOS, so you will need a
>> native build of GTK.
>
> Yah, I'm aware. This gets slightly sticky because we can't currently
> install both native and x11 GTK at the same time, but I'm thinking of
> fixing that anyway.
That would be great. This would allow us to build a "real" xpra server
for seamless X11 apps on MacOS and have it co-exist with the native client.