[winswitch] Chrome Fullscreen: ESC vs. F11 and Debugging Issue

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Fri Dec 27 18:26:15 GMT 2019

On 26/12/2019 13:08, wuebbel--- via shifter-users wrote:
> HI,
>

> I installed xpra3.04 on an Ubuntu 18.04 headless workstation from the
> xpra.org repository. Installation went more or less smoothly (after spending
> an hour without any result on the versions supplied in the Ubuntu archives).
That's the number one problem people encounter.
And when they do work, they're dangerous to use: full of serious bugs
and security issues.

> Xpra was started as a service automatically, the html5 client was available
> with minimal configuration.
>
> I came upon two issues, none of them critical, which I would like to share:
>
> 1.	I had an authorization issue on installation (my fault). I tried to
> debug it using debug=all in /etc/default/xpra. The good thing: I found my
> error. The bad thing: debug=all logs full passwords to the system log
> (prefixed by authenticate_check). While I understand that debug=all means
> debug=all, I was surprised by that behavior (and consequently had to change
> my password).
The "authenticate_check" method is generic and it is used by all sorts
of authentication modules: some use tokens or hashes - having those in
the log output can be very useful, others use the actual passwords..

This change should prevent the actual password from being logged:
https://xpra.org/trac/changeset/24809
And an env var can still be used to restore the full logging.
Note: the length of the password will still be visible.

> 2.	I use Chrome for Windows to access the html5 version of xpra.
> When clicking the Fullscreen-Button on the xpra desktop, Chrome goes
> fullscreen and displays "Press Escape to exit Fullscreen" (german locale).
> Escape is probably the worst choice for X11 fullscreen when you are an
> addicted vi user. Works, but as soon as I want to leave edit mode in vi,
> xpra leaves fullscreen mode.
>
> *However* - when using the Fullscreen Button in Chrome's Settings Menu (near
> "Zoom"), it goes Fullscreen and displays "Press F11 to exit Fullscreen", and
> F11 is a great choice. This fullscreen mode works perfect, Escape is just a
> normal key.
>
> I have no idea whatsoever why Chrome would support two different exit keys
> for Fullscreen, depending on where the fullscreen was started from. Is there
> any way of replicating the Chrome Menu-Behavior for the
> xpra-fullscreen-button?
I am afraid not.
At least now it will be easier to switch to fullscreen using the
keyboard, as the F11 key will also be passed through to the browser:
http://xpra.org/trac/changeset/24810
(you can fairly easily apply this change to your installation without
waiting for the next release)