[winswitch] problems under Ubuntu

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Thu Jul 18 09:32:16 BST 2019

On 17/07/2019 21:39, Perry E. Metzger via shifter-users wrote:
> Under Ubuntu 19.04, "Disco Dingo", I get the following behavior and
> things kind of go south from there. (The messages appear to be
> logged to the terminal after the xpra session disconnects from the
> tty.)
>
> $ xpra start :100 --start=xterm
> $ 2019-07-17 15:35:13,128 Warning: failed to create
> script directory '/run/user/1000/xpra': 2019-07-17 15:35:13,128
> [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/run/user/1000/xpra' 2019-07-17
> 15:35:13,128  ($XDG_RUNTIME_DIR has not been created?)
>
> Any thoughts on how to debug this? I've seen mention of problems like
> this in the bug database but they seem long closed...
Many modern desktop applications rely on the XDG_RUNTIME_DIR directory,
xpra does since before v1.0.

This directory is normally created when you login. Terminal logins, ssh
logins and display manager logins should all be creating this directory
for you.
My guess is that you're not logging in normally but faking the login
using something like 'su'.

Possible solutions:
* use a login system that creates the required directory instead of su
* start xpra via its system-wide proxy: "--start-via-proxy=yes"
(the system wide proxy runs as root and takes care of creating proper
login sessions and the required directories)
* don't use XDG_RUNTIME_DIR at all: the run-xpra script is not a huge
problem (it is rarely used - you can ignore that warning) but you will
need to put your server sockets somewhere else too, either by adding
"--socket-dirs=/tmp" to all your xpra commands or by making this change
permanent with: "echo socket-dirs=/tmp >
/etc/xpra/conf.d/90_override_socket_dirs.conf". (as root)
* or more simply, just add your users to the "xpra" group and the
sockets will be created in "/run/xpra" - this is the most expedient
solution.