[winswitch] Xpra compiler and video compression formats

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Sun Mar 10 10:35:19 GMT 2019

On 10/03/2019 15:12, Lin via shifter-users wrote:
> Hi! Has anyone tried replacing Xpra's Cython with Nuitka?
No.

> I think it might give it a performance boost.
This is a common misconception: the performance of xpra comes first and
foremost from the performance of the picture and video encoder libraries
that it uses to do the grunt of the work.
Those are already heavily optimized using hand crafted assembly code.
The Cython parts are mostly glue code for those libraries, rather than
performance optimizations.
I'm in no way saying that the python code couldn't be improved, just
that you are unlikely to see major performance improvements there.
But please prove me wrong!

>Also, what do you guys think of the VP9 protocol for video compression?
VP9 has been supported in xpra since early 2014.

> Is it worth it?
Newer versions of libvpx are much better / faster, in particular v1.8.0:
https://www.xpra.org/trac/ticket/2132
Software vp8 or vp9 video compression is a good alternative to
software-h264.