[winswitch] Connecting to Windows Server Container

Mukul Agrawal mukulagrawal78 at yahoo.com
Mon May 20 01:59:29 BST 2019

The application running inside Windows Server Container is a regular microsoft windows application.I am guessing it is not an X11 application because I didnt have to install any x server. It works natively on MS windows machines.
I have played with XPRA on linux systems and linux container a little bit and I can get those to work.I was wondering if: (1) you have a distribution of xpra server that can run on microsoft windows host machines and if it does then (2) if it is possible to for a windows server container running on that host to send its graphics to the xpra server running on host (or running on sister container) instead of running inside container.

Regards, Mukul ( https://sites.google.com/site/mukulagrawal )

    On Sunday, May 19, 2019, 10:16:22 AM PDT, Antoine Martin via shifter-users <shifter-users at lists.devloop.org.uk> wrote:

 On 19/05/2019 20:43, Mukul Agrawal via shifter-users wrote:
> Dear XPRA team,
> I have an application running on Windows Server container.Can I get the graphics generated in the container to a remote client using novnc ?
I will assume you mean xpra here.
What sort of graphics? This an X11 application, right?
> I can control how to start the container but prefer not to install anything inside container.I can install anything required on host that is running the container.
I'm not 100% certain I understand what you're trying to do, but if you
cannot install xpra in the container whose applications you are trying
to expose, you can install xpra in another container and then start your
applications on the display started by the xpra server there. ie:
DISPLAY=xpraserverIP:DISPLAYNO yourapp
You will need to allow TCP connections to your X11 server, see xhost and
remove "-nolisten tcp" from xpra's default xvfb command.
If you don't want to expose the X11 display over plain TCP, you can use
ssh display forwarding between the two containers.
In any case, there are benefits to this approach: you can really isolate
your application by running it in a container with very limited network
access.