[winswitch] start-desktop with Fedora KDE Plasma

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Wed Nov 27 07:03:34 GMT 2019

On 27/11/2019 11:20, Bob Babcock via shifter-users wrote:
> [I sent this before with a messed up address, trying again]
>
> I've been trying out xpra start-desktop with Windows 7 or 10 viewing
> Fedora 31. A few things I've had to figure out that don't seem well
> documented:
>
> To start KDE Plasma, the option is --start=startkde, not --start=plasma
> as I first guessed
It would be good to collect those commands somewhere on the wiki, as
they do seem to change over time.
FWIW: I have a 'startkde' in Fedora 31, but no 'plasma' command.

> I must use the documented --start="xrandr..." option or the screen size
> is too large.  It doesn't default to 1920x1080.
The XPRA_DEFAULT_DESKTOP_VFB_RESOLUTION is set by default to:
1280x1024
I get a resolution close to that on start-desktop, but this may also be
the result of the resolution-challenged laptop I am using today.

> I got multiple messages "Error Authentication is required to create a
> color managed device", fixed by workaround I found at
> https://www.seei.biz/authentication-is-required-to-create-a-color-managed-device-in-xrdp/
Thanks for the pointer. I have created a wiki page and added it there:
https://xpra.org/trac/wiki/Colourspace
Note: in newer versions it will be possible to disable colourspace
synchronization, which may be easier than fiddling with polkit permissions.

> I still get one message "System policy prevents control of network
> connections" but I can cancel or enter a password to get past this.
>
> The first problem I don't know how to fix is that when I close a desktop
> application, the screen usually doesn't refresh.  Konsole behaves this
> way.  I see this both at home with nVidia video on the Linux side and on
> a PowerEdge server at work with matrox video and no working GUI (which
> is why I'm looking at start-desktop).
Unless you use vglrun to accelerate your start-desktop session, the GPU
will not be used.
I cannot reproduce this problem, can you please file a ticket with mode
details? (ie: the exact commands and a screenshot or two would really help)

> The second problem is that when I log off, I'm left with a black window
> which I can close, but the xpra server doesn't exit on the Linux side.
> If I use --exit-with-children, the session doesn't even start.  Or maybe
> it starts but quits after xrandr?
The server log file should tell you what is happening here.
Make sure the desktop session command is started with --start-child=
xrandr should be started using --start=

I've just tried it with --start-child=startkde --exit-with-children=yes
and the session was correctly terminated when I logged out of KDE.
Note that I did all this from the Linux laptop, I have not tried from
the MS Windows client, which may cause the problem you are reporting.

> On the Linux end, I do not have the beta repository enabled, so the xpra
> version is v3.0.2-r24387.
> On the Windows end, I have 4.0.0.24461.
Both should work OK for what you're trying to do.