[winswitch] "Run command" windows is always hidden

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Mon Aug 3 10:18:03 BST 2020

On 03/08/2020 13:02, Luca Manganelli via shifter-users wrote:
> If you go to xpra tray menu, then do  "Server" -> "Run command", the window
> is always on bottom, behind any open window.
> It should be always on top.
> This happens on Ubuntu 18.04.
This does happen on most operating systems, though not all.

Which windows get moved to the top of the stack when they appear is a
matter of policy for the client OS or window manager.

xpra forwards windows and their attributes, it generally avoids interfering.

Even if we wanted to overrule the OS and force the window to the top of
the stack, deciding which windows this should apply to and for how long
would be tricky to implement reliably. There is no way to guarantee that
we can identify which windows belong to which application, let alone
correlate them with the "Run command" dialog.
Feel free to create a ticket if you feel strongly about this.