[winswitch] xpra slow update

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Thu Jan 9 21:01:50 GMT 2020

On 09/01/2020 20:04, Anthony Stone via shifter-users wrote:
> Hello Antoine,
>
> Since version 3.0.4
What version did you have installed previously? 3.0.3?
Is this both on the client and the server?

There is nothing in the 3.0.3 changesets that should be able to cause
this sort of problem. Maybe it's a build or environment issue.

> I find that an emacs window on the remote is very
> slow to update edits. I have tried setting xpra > picture > speed >
> lowest latency, but that doesn't seem to help. (Should it?)
It helps tune things, but what you're experiencing sounds like a bug.

> My download
> speed is 100 Mbit/s, but the upload speed is only 3 Mbit/s; could that
> account for it?
No. 3Mbps is not ideal, but it should be enough for running a text
editor for sure.

> I don't know whether the speed has changed recently.
>
> What happens is that I edit characters on a line in a text file in
> emacs, and the change often isn't reflected on the screen for several
> seconds. It is updated promptly if I move the cursor to an adjacent
> line. Otherwise I often assume I've mistyped, and correct it, only to
> find that it was correct after all.
Please file a ticket with more details, including log files.
There must be something broken.