[winswitch] Possible to start HTML showing just one app?

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Wed Jan 22 07:02:36 GMT 2020

On 22/01/2020 10:05, Zhuo Jia Dai via shifter-users wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> When I do
>
> ```
> xpra start --bind-tcp=0.0.0.0:14500 --html=on --start-child=atom
> ```
>
> I see that `localhost:14500` shows me a desktop-like instead of just the
> `atom`. Is there a way to start the html client os that only one app is
> shown and not the desktop?
No. Whatever you do, the browser window area is what it is.
We can't resize the browser window to match the window size of "atom"
(or any other client applications), and we can't have each application
window a browser popup either.

Now, it's not as bad as it sounds because the "desktop-like" area that
you see with xpra is actually fully managed client-side by the browser,
unlike full desktops like VNC where everything, including the desktop
background, is managed server side and forwarded as pixels.

This makes a huge difference when some latency is involved: moving
windows is a client-side operation with xpra, server-side with VNC.
Even with sub-100ms latency, the usability and bandwidth savings are
substantial.