[winswitch] Upgrading from Xpra 1 to Xpra 3

Eric Lemings eric.lemings at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 14:47:00 BST 2020

Hello all,

I recently upgraded from Xpra 1.0.13 to Xpra 3.0.9.  I am trying to get
Xpra 3 to start under a Linux system account (RHEL 7 to be exact) as before
under Xpra 1.  The exact command looked something like this:

$ /usr/bin/python2 /usr/bin/xpra start :42 --log-dir=/an-install-dir/.xpra
--sharing=yes --map-group --socket-dir=/an-install-dir/.xpra
-socket-dirs=/an-install-dir/.xpra:/tmp --socket-permissions=660
--systemd-run=no --remote-xpra=/an-install-dir/.xpra/run-xpra
--pulseaudio=no --remote-logging=yes --speaker=disabled --system-tray=no
--webcam=no --mdns=no --notifications=no

The usage and options might not have been technically correct but it
worked... for Xpra 1.  Doesn't work so well for Xpra 3.  At first, the
system account did not belong to the 'xpra' group but it would not reliably
open a socket in the /an-install-dir/.xpra directory.  After adding the
'xpra' group to the system account, it doesn't seem to ever set group
read/write permissions or use the system account group -- only the 'xpra'
group.

First question: Is there a wiki page or other document that outlines the
procedures for using Xpra 3 under a system account to be shared by multiple
users?

Second question: What would be the equivalent Xpra 3.0.9 command for the
Xpra 1 command shown above?

Much appreciated.

Eric.