[winswitch] Random connection drops in browser client

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Mon Nov 30 23:23:31 GMT 2020

Hi,

I have had an issue with Xpra dropping and reconnecting sessions while using
applications inside the web browser client. I have experienced this for several
months and logs do not show a reason. Currently I'm using Xpra 4.0.5.

I can leave a session open for hours without reconnect attempts if I leave an
application open and idle so I do not feel this is a network connectivity issue.
It's only randomly reconnecting after clicking around applications, such as Firefox,
inside a session. The randomness frequency is anywhere from once per 5 minutes to a
few times per minute. It is not isolated to a single application.

Server side logs show the client disconnected and then reconnected. No warnings or
other errors.

Client side browser logs show:
websocket closed: undefined reason: null, reconnect: true, reconnect attempt: 0
connection-list
... tries to reconnect to server ...
(web browser shows session for a second)
connection-established
update encodings: (encodings listed...)
ping timeout - reconnecting
... tries to reconnect to server ...
(this can cycle once, or a half-dozen times in a row, until finally....)
connection-established
update encodings: (encodings listed...)
server connection is OK

The session is then "stable" until the next reconnection episode.

Any ideas as to the cause?

Thanks,
Michael