[winswitch] Question about install

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Sat Feb 6 14:49:23 GMT 2021

On 06/02/2021 21:10, Alain Aupeix via shifter-users wrote:
> Le 06/02/2021 à 14:18, Antoine Martin via shifter-users a écrit :
>> On 06/02/2021 18:43, Alain Aupeix via shifter-users wrote:
>>> Is-it normal  ?
>> No.
>> The current official stable packages no longer use Xdummy to avoid
>> problems such as this one.
>> My guess is that the package you are using is broken, see:
>> https://github.com/Xpra-org/xpra/wiki/Distribution-Packages
>
> Hi, Here are the packets which are avalaibles with apt:
(..)
> xpra/xenial,xenial 0.15.8+dfsg-1 amd64
>   Outil pour détacher/rattacher les programmes X en cours d'exécution
(..)
> It seems that this packets are out of date ...
Yes, dangerously so.
As per the link above. Your distribution is shipping completely broken
packages.

> On this url, versions are really higher ...
> https://xpra.org/dists/xenial/main/binary-amd64/
Correct.

> Which are the needed packets and what are their purpose?
>  * xpra
That's xpra, which is what you are trying to install.
https://github.com/Xpra-org/xpra-html5
>  * python3-xpra ?
The python3 variant.
>  * python2-xpra ?
The python2 variant (which can co-exist).
>  * python-lz4 ?
>  * python-opengl ?
>  * python-rencode ?
>  * python-xxhash ?
These packages provide extra features, the exact purpose of each package
can be found here:
https://github.com/Xpra-org/xpra/blob/master/docs/Build/Dependencies.md

> Is-it better and reasonnable to choose last rev with Xubnutu 16.04?
Just install the official xpra packages:
https://github.com/Xpra-org/xpra/wiki/Download
And things just work.

> What is the link with winswitch ?
Xpra was one of the remote desktop protocols supported by winswitch.
Nowadays, xpra offers almost all the features winswitch used to have.
> I seems that winswitch is for mac, no ?
No.
Winswitch was supported on many platforms, but it is no longer being
developed and is not supported.