[winswitch] How to disable redirecting to log file

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Sun May 9 13:27:56 BST 2021

On 09/05/2021 14:56, yonatan zaken via shifter-users wrote:
> Hi All,
> My platform: Linux Kubuntu 14
> xpra version: xpra v1.0.12-r19800
>
> I am trying to find a way to disable the redirecting of the xpra server
> output to the log file.
If you run your server with "--no-daemon" then the output will just go
to stdout. You can then redirect that wherever you like:
nohup xpra start --start=noisycommand --no-daemon >& /dev/null &

> The application that I run via. xpra start generates large amounts of data
> to stdout causing the ":1.log" file to be very large. This causes me
> trouble since the /run/user is left with no space sometimes.
So the problem is not caused by the xpra server but by your unspecified
application.

> I tried adding the following flag to the xpra.conf file:
> remote-logging=no
Remote logging has nothing to do with it.
That's for sending the client's log messages to the server.
(and in newer versions, also back the other way)

> But i still see the applications output directed to the .log file.
>
> Any suggestions how to disable the redirecting of the applications stdout
> to the log file?
Why don't you just redirect the output of your noisy command?
xpra start --start="bash -c 'therealcommand &> /dev/null'"

You could also create a wrapper script to do the same thing:
cat > /usr/bin/mycommand-wrapper << EOF
#!/bin/bash
mycommand $@ >& /dev/null
EOF