[winswitch] First time install of xpra: black screen in all windows.

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Tue Sep 28 13:48:23 BST 2021

On 28/09/2021 18:07, G.W. Haywood via shifter-users wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> Nearly three weeks has elapsed since my post of 11th September at 11:10 BST
>
> https://lists.devloop.org.uk/pipermail/shifter-users/2021-September/002873.html
>

> which contains descriptions of three connection attempts, all of which
> fail in
> the way described in the subject line, and the server log for these
> attempts.
>
> I can trace no reply to my post of 11 September,
This means no-one has had the time or access to the hardware needed for
looking into this.
I think that opening an issue on github would be a better option:
https://github.com/Xpra-org/xpra/issues/new

> and my reminder, sent
> to the
> list on 19 September at 13:08 BST, does not appear in the archive.
That's right, I had discarded it. Please accept my apologies for not
notifying you directly but I am kinda busy.
Posts that simply "bump" another post are not acceptable on most mailing
lists, including this one.

> To briefly recap, I can run a session 'locally' by starting XPRA and an
> xterm
> on the XPRA server and connecting to it from a client on the same
> machine but
> when the client is remote, the connection fails to render the screen
> display.
> Instead of showing the window content, the screen is completely black.
> Apart
> from that the xterm appears to be functional.  I can run commands from
> it and
> the login session on the server acts upon them - for example I can
> 'touch' a
> non-existent file in the user's home directory and it is created as
> expected.
>
> What am I doing wrong?Answering the questions from the bug reporting guidelines:
https://github.com/Xpra-org/xpra/wiki/Reporting-Bugs
would got a long way towards identifying the source of the problem.