[shifter-users] Shifter + Synergy could be awesome

Chris Wj chris0wj at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 13:57:25 BST 2010

Hi all. This e-mail is being sent to 2 mailing lists, which could post a
problem for reply-to-all; so choose the reply carefully. Nonetheless, I use
both of these applications and I had the idea that together, they would be
absolutely awesome. Check out the descriptions below...

*Shifter*
Window Shifter is a tool which allows you to move applications between
networked computers, the windows appear where you need them, as they were.
You no longer need to save and send documents to move them around, simply
move the view of the application to the machine where you need it.
http://shifter.devloop.org.uk/

*Synergy-Plus*
*Synergy+* (synergy-plus) lets you easily share a single mouse and keyboard
between multiple computers with different operating systems, without special
hardware. All you need is a LAN connection. It's intended for users with
multiple computers, where each system uses its own display. It's a little
like having a 2nd or a 3rd desktop...
http://code.google.com/p/synergy-plus/

My idea is to be able to move the mouse between computers using Synergy
while dragging windows governed by Shifter. Synergy finds out that the mouse
control should switch to the other computer and Shifter 'teleports' the
window/application under the mouse to the opposite computer.

-Chris