[winswitch] Problems using xpra on CentOS 5

Brian Pitts bdp at uga.edu
Thu Sep 22 19:40:32 BST 2011

Hi,

Thanks for making packages of xpra for CentOS 5. I tried the xpra-0.0.7.26-1 rpm but was unable to use it. I thought I should report
the problems I experienced.

1) CentOS includes Python 2.4, but xpra uses language features which aren't included in that version of Python. For example,

$ xpra start :1
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/xpra", line 4, in ?
    import xpra.scripts.main
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/xpra/scripts/main.py", line 23, in ?
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/xpra/protocol.py", line 79
    with self._lock:
            ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

There are python 2.6 packages for CentOS 5 available from EPEL. However, after installing them I still cannot use xpra because

2) The rpm installed it in /usr/lib64/python2.4 instead of /usr/lib64/python2.6.
3) xpra imports modules (e.g. gtk, gobject) for which EPEL does not provide python 2.6 packages.

It seems like creating a usable xpra package for CentOS 5 would require installing it in a different location and also packaging a
number of dependencies.

--
Brian Pitts
Systems Administrator | EuPathDB Bioinformatics Resource Center