[winswitch] WinSwitch - Issues connecting via SSH?

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Wed Feb 22 16:16:15 GMT 2012

On 02/22/2012 05:02 PM, Antoine Martin wrote:
>>> Firstly - is it possible to use a SSH private key that has a password? I
>>> can't seem to find any option to enter in a password for the key. The
>>> workaround is just to use a keyfile without a password, or to use
>>> username/password based authentication, but neither are as secure, of
>>> course.
>> Yes.
>> It will use an ssh agent if one is running.
>> If it isn't running or if it does not have the passphrase for that key,
>> Winswitch will popup a dialog asking for the passphrase (the same dialog
>> which may ask you for a password if you have no key defined)
> Until pagent is supported, this is your only option.
And unfortunately that does not always work either... I've just found
that there is a problem which prevents Twisted-conch from loading
certain private key files.. Here is the upstream bug I have created:
http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/5496

Until that is fixed, Winswitch cannot use your private key if it has a
passphrase.
That, plus the fact that pageant does not seem usable outside putty
leaves us with very few options at present :(