[winswitch] [ANNOUNCE] xpra 0.3.3

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Thu Jul 12 06:07:29 BST 2012

On 12/07/12 11:57, Martin Ebourne wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-07-11 at 22:29 +0700, Antoine Martin wrote:
>> On 11/07/12 22:17, Martin Ebourne wrote:
>>> Xorg takes:
>>> -dpi int               screen resolution in dots per inch
>> That should take care of this particular session for a single client
>> configuration, but ideally I would like to find a more general solution
>> where the xpra client could send the xpra server the DPI it already uses
>> and get the server to adapt on the fly. (if at all possible)
>> I have seen a number of posts referring to xrdb and Xft.dpi, but I have
>> no idea how that interacts with toolkits (gtk, qt, tk..)
>> I will need to investigate, pointers welcome.
>
> xrandr also takes --dpi to set the resolution. I don't know if you can
> directly query the dpi but xrandr does give the screen dimensions and
> display mode dimensions so it's easy to calculate dpi from that. I guess
> you just need to query it on the client side and set on the server side.
Oh, I had missed that. We already have some randr code in there so it
shouldn't be too hard to add.

> I don't know what you'd do about heterogeneous multi-screen setups
> though, my displays are 125dpi and 100dpi.
I'm looking at the randr API, and it looks like xrandr uses the DPI to
calculate the screen dimensions. So that gives us more options than just
using min/max/avg in the case of multi-screen setups.
But it also complicates things because you then need to care about how
the screens are arranged (overlapping, below or to the side...), so I
will probably just use the average for now.