[winswitch] Difficulty installing/running on Mac OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Wed Aug 7 05:30:28 BST 2013

On 07/08/13 06:00, Arthur Zey wrote:
> Please forgive the elementary nature of this question, but most of my
> previous experience has been in Windows, and only about a year ago have I
> started really getting into Linux (Ubuntu), and only just within the last
> few weeks have I consistently started using a Mac as my primary computer.
>
> I've installed Windows-Switch on my Ubuntu 13.04 machine according to the
> instructions here:
> https://winswitch.org/downloads/debian-repository.html?dist_select=raring
>
> I followed up by running "sudo apt-get install xpra python-wimpiggy" (since
> "sudo apt-get upgrade" indicated that those packages could be upgraded, but
> it wouldn't do it automatically) before launching Windows-Switch from the
> application launcher (which I assume I won't have to do in the future,
> since it'll launch automatically on startup, right?),
It should, though desktop environment changes can break things.
(and Ubuntu in particular)
>   and it went through
> the initial run process. I got a few error messages (something about having
> to do SSH tunneling and something about what I think was related to
> automatic discovery of clients), but I'm not worried about that quite yet.
You should install the mDNS bits, without those you will have to connect
to your server by IP address which is tedious (and often changes between
restarts).
With mdns correctly installed, your client will see your server appear
on the network and connect to it automatically.
> (Eventually, the program I expect to be using through this is Pidgin, but I
> don't have that up and running on this computer yet.) The point is that,
> unlike what I'll describe below on the Mac, the Ubuntu machine properly
> places a Windows-Switch icon in the Ubuntu equivalent of a system tray, as
> pictured here: https://winswitch.org/documentation/start.html
>
> The problem I'm having is on my primary laptop (which I ultimately want to
> display the Pidgin process). I followed the instructions for Intel-based
> Macs here: http://winswitch.org/downloads/
>
> (My computer is a MacBook Pro Retina, running 10.8.4 on a 2.4 GHz Intel
> Core i7--is there any other information that would be diagnostically
> relevant?)
That should be enough.
> During the installation, I dragged the icon into the Applications folder,
> then launched it. After clicking "Open" on the obligatory
> are-you-sure-because-this-was-downloaded-from-the-interwebs! message, it
> put an icon on my dock and briefly displayed a notification saying that it
> was setting some stuff up for first use (like it did on the Ubuntu
> machine). However, it does not create an icon in my "system tray", as I
> expected (and as is pictured here:
> https://winswitch.org/documentation/start.html ).
Those screenshots are out of date for OSX, newer versions use the global
menu to interact with the application instead of a tray icon.
>   Instead, the dock icon
> remains with a little light underneath it indicating that it's currently
> running. Clicking on the dock icon for Window-Switch does nothing, nor does
> it have any windows associated with it.
Do you see anything in the global application menu?
There should be options there for connecting to servers and starting apps.
> Quitting and restarting the process
> makes no difference; neither does uninstalling and reinstalling it (which,
> on a Mac, I understand is accomplished merely by sending the item to Trash
> from the Applications folder, then re-copying it from the downloaded image).
Correct.

> Could anyone shed some light and help me figure this out, please?
I haven't tested on OSX for a while.
You may want to file a ticket and add your log files.