[winswitch] xpra and multiple desktops

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Wed Feb 13 15:46:42 GMT 2013

On 02/13/2013 10:40 PM, Douglas Doole wrote:
> xpra seems to get a little confused when used on a system with multiple
> desktops and xpra managed windows on more than one desktop. (I have seen
> this behaviour on all 0.8.* builds.)
>
> For example:
>    On desktop 2:
>       start xpra managed terminal (for reference, call it term2)
>       start gvim from term2 - appears on desktop #2
>    Switch to desktop 3:
>       start xpra managed terminal (term3) - appears on desktop #2 (!)
I don't understand why it would do that.. Maybe I am missing a piece of
the puzzle.
If this is a brand new application window, the workspace should be unset.
>       move term3 to desktop #3
>       start gvim from term3 - appears on desktop #3
>    Switch to desktop 2:
>       click on term2 to bring it to foreground
>       start gvim from term2 - appears in desktop #3 (!)
>       start gvim (again) from term2 - appears in desktop #2
>    Switch to desktop 3:
>       move term3 (which also brings it to foreground)
>       start gvim from term3 - appears in desktop #3
>
> It seems that xpra isn't aware of desktop changes until something causes a
> change in window state.
That's correct, and I'm not sure what can be done to change that. We
just aren't notified of anything by the window manager on the client.
Or maybe we are just mixing the workspace mappings for all the windows.
I would have to test this for myself to know for sure, can you please
file a ticket so I don't forget?