[winswitch] please conform to XDG Base directory specification; ~/.config/xpra/

Thomas Koch thomas at koch.ro
Wed Sep 4 16:39:24 BST 2013

On Wednesday, September 04, 2013 05:12:06 PM Antoine Martin wrote:
> On 04/09/13 22:00, Thomas Koch wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm continuing my exploration of xpra. It's wonderful so far. It would
> > become even nicer, if you'd conform to the XDG Base Directory
> > Specification[1][2]. That means the xpra config file would go to
> >
> > ~/.config/xpra/config
>
> I'm not very keen on this.
> OTOH I can think of two problems already:
> * we already have ~/.xpra/ shipping - changing anything is bound to
> cause compatibility problems.
> * the server sockets are placed in ~/.xpra/ by default already (and that
> is unlikely to change - and even if it did, .config is not a suitable
> place for sockets)
>
> Ideas welcome.

xpra would not be the first application to move from ~/.something to XDG. Git
is one example. The normal migration path is to have a fallback to also look
for config files in the old location.

The XDG spec also specifies the $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR for sockets, but unfortunately
this directory is not yet accepted by distros AFAIK. But you could keep them
in ~/.xpra until this is worked out.

Thank you for your quick reply, Thomas Koch