[winswitch] How to use the Xdummy with Xpra?

Heng Zhou hzhou1 at cs.uml.edu
Sat Dec 27 16:53:10 GMT 2014

Thanks for the reply. I don't understand "if you have access to a real
graphics card in the server system". By "server system" here do you mean
the remote machine? I asked the question in the original post just because
the remote machine is not installed a physical graphics card, so I tried to
use Xdummy (or Xvfb) to setup a virtual graphics card (or virtual frame
buffer). So the settings of my question is that there is no physical
graphics card on the remote machine, and I tried to run glxgears on it and
return the animation back to me. You said your forwarding of glxgears works
fine. Is it working on a remote machine without  physical graphics card? If
so, could you please share your settings and running steps? To be specific,
is the remote machine running Red Hat? Is the following commands the
sequence of steps you did:
(1) xpra start :100
(2) sudo DISPLAY=:100 Xorg -noreset +extension GLX :200
My remote ubuntu machine dies at this step.
(3) Use Xpra Launcher in Windows to connect to the remote machine using
display :200
(4) sudo DISPLAY=:200 glxgears
Then the Xpra window in WIndows should display the animation of rolling
gears, right?