[winswitch] How to use the Xdummy with Xpra?

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Sat Dec 27 17:01:11 GMT 2014

On 27/12/14 23:53, Heng Zhou wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. I don't understand "if you have access to a real
> graphics card in the server system". By "server system" here do you
> mean the remote machine?
I said the "server", which may or may not be remote (which is not
irrelevant).
> I asked the question in the original post just because the remote
> machine is not installed a physical graphics card,
Then you can skip VirtualGL, you will get unaccelerated software rendering.
> so I tried to use Xdummy (or Xvfb) to setup a virtual graphics card
> (or virtual frame buffer). So the settings of my question is that
> there is no physical graphics card on the remote machine, and I tried
> to run glxgears on it and return the animation back to me. You said
> your forwarding of glxgears works fine.
It does.
> Is it working on a remote machine without  physical graphics card?
Yes.
> If so, could you please share your settings and running steps?
Default settings, default steps.
> To be specific, is the remote machine running Red Hat?
Non-specific response: some are.
What does remote mean here? Client? Server?
> Is the following commands the sequence of steps you did:
> (1) xpra start :100
> (2) sudo DISPLAY=:100 Xorg -noreset +extension GLX :200
I have no idea what you are trying to accomplish with the command above.
xpra starts the display, or alternatively it can use an existing
display, trying to start the display after starting xpra makes no sense
whatsoever.
> My remote ubuntu machine dies at this step.
Like I said: Xdummy is broken with Ubuntu.
It will not work.
> (3) Use Xpra Launcher in Windows to connect to the remote machine
> using display :200
> (4) sudo DISPLAY=:200 glxgears
> Then the Xpra window in WIndows should display the animation of
> rolling gears, right?
Assuming that you started xpra with Xdummy as its vfb server, yes.

Antoine