[winswitch] Monitor where (new) windows open

Lukas Haase lukashaase at gmx.at
Sun Feb 15 02:05:16 GMT 2015

Hi,

I've a really frustrating way problem for quite some time: I use xpra on a Windows with one (undocked laptop), two (docking station #1) or three (docking station #2) monitors. In the docking station cases, the *primary* display is/are always the external monitor and the secondary one the internal laptop display. Since the laptop is actually a convertible tablet, I use it nearly exclusively are notepad (having the display lying on the table with OneNote open).

Although the internal laptop display is *not* the primary monitor, it is to the *left* of the other screens and hence, it has position (0,0) of the complete virtual display.

Now I have X window applications (again, proprietary, sorry) which in 90% of the cases place the windows on the *secondary* monitor. Since I don't even use that display as an actual monitor, it is so annoying to drag all the windows (and the applications really opens a lot of windows) to the actual primary screen. I asked in the forum of the proprietary application [1] and they claim the window manager would have the option to decide on which monitor new windows open etc.

My question: Would it be possible to specify this in xpra (which also acts as a window manager)?
The best, greatest and *most natural* solution would be to open new windows always on the same monitor as the last active application was on. I don't understand how this can't be default. With every wingle Windows application I use this is the case and windows only go to the secondary monitor when I specifically drag them there.
In the worst case, a brute-force solution may be to exclude certain monitors at all from xpra ... would this be possible?

Thanks,
Luke

[1] http://preview.tinyurl.com/m4k2l2f